Pages

Friday 15 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey : Bonus Activity: Waka Ama


To this day, the people of New Zealand still use waka. Instead of using their waka to transport them from one place to another, they sometimes use waka in special events and in sporting competitions such as Waka Ama. Both boys and girls compete in Waka Ama boat races.


waka-ama-40461.jpg
Watch this short video of a Waka Ama race. On your blog tell us whether you would like to be in a Waka Ama race one day. Why or why not?








BONUS ACTIVITY : WAKA AMA

Question : Would I Like To Participate ?

Yes . I would like to participate .
Why , You Ask ?
Taking part in a Waka Ama race would mean that I would have to be really fit and strong in order to paddle as fast as I can in order to get to the other side along with few other people . I've just watched the video about it and it looks really exciting . The amount of energy it must take would probably be endless . So I would like to give it my best shot .








1 comment:

  1. Hi LJ,

    Ruby here from the Student Learning Journey team.

    It's great that you would want to participate in a Waka Ama race! You would definitely have to be strong and fit to be in one of the races! What sorts of things do you think you would have to do as practice?

    Have you ever been in a kayak or a canoe before? They are quite similar to Waka. I have been in them a few times but always end up getting sea sick!

    I look forward to reading more of your blog.
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete